Fuel consumption versus cruising altitude

Fuel consumption versus cruising altitude

por RyanCaleb » 16 Nov 2017, 06:57

fter having run out of fuel multiple times on the return to the airbase (I use the historical fuel quantity option) I began to wonder if, perhaps, there was an optimal altitude for fuel consumption. There doesn't seem to be any for this sim, so I conducted tests at various altitudes, and was rather surprised with the results. I ran three flights each at 10,000; 15,000; 20,000; 25,000; 30,000 feet. The starting base was Podington; the target Basdorf, for a total flight distance of 1,204 miles. Navigation difficulty was set to flawless (to eliminate that variable) and weather set to "light" (to eliminate storms obscuring the target and necessitating a "go-around"). The payload was 6x 1,000 lb General Purpose. And both flak and enemy fighters were disabled. Starting fuel quantity was approximately 410 gallons. I recorded remaining fuel once at the target, and a second time once back at the airbase. Within each altitude group there was a surprising variation, considering the attempt at removing variables from the experiment.

For more details : teaser trailer

Data de registro: 07 Nov 2017, 10:45